Monday, August 31, 2009

This is a better idea.......

After Finishing the Previous bridle I realized that the blue and black bridle that I was working was a bit plain and "unfinished" looking. I changed the big "blob" knots above the rings to match the combination on the browband, and I added blue spanish ring knots next to all of the other knots to give it a more finished appearance. I think it looks much better now... :-)

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Latest Braidwork bridle

This lovely bridle belongs to Kellye Bussey. She asked me a year ago to consider doing some bradework for her and my schedule loosened up and I was able to. I've been working dilligently on this bridle and I think it's turned out very well.

Unfortunately, with my current point and shoot camera, you can't see all of the detail. The single interweave knots on the bridle actually have two colors, not just one. The black seems to have dominated the brown in pictures. When you hold it in your hands, the brown is very evident.

Kellye picked the colors and I have to say it's a great color combination!!
This bridle was heavily influenced by some black and silver Luis Ortega reins that were auctioned off this year in the Cody Old west catalog.
I'll be back working on my blue and black bridle till September 1 when I have another bridle and breastcollar combo to do!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

knots and more turks head knots

ok. I am showing a sneak peek here but I don't want to reveal the whole thing. Not till it's done and the owner has had a chance to show it off a bit.. but here is a sneaky peeky..

Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Focus pinky...... Focus...."

I have been having an awful time Focusing on one piece of tack lately. My brain is bombarding me with ideas and I suddenly think that they're ALL good ideas.. LOL! I've restrained myself to three pieces at once though. The Braided bridle below, the bridle above and another bridle with a leather headstall and some braidwork as well.

The Bridle above is to match my Terry Newberry Saddle. Im trying to talk myself out of making romel reins for it but I haven't been successful yet. I am particularly proud of the knot above the tassel. I can't even express how small that sucker is but I am very pleased that I was able to pull it off :-)

Poor Munchkin is sick again this week. He's had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (yes, another one!) that he was taking for a "suspected" spider bite around his eye. (confirmed by the dr yesterday) Right now his entire body is covered with red blotches. (including is little feet!) so he is home again with me today. Here at home he can get the extra rest his body needs to help "deal" with this.
This of course means that I can't get a lot done but it's worth it to help him feel better..

Saturday, August 08, 2009

More In Progress photos of the Blue and Black Braided Bridle...

Here are some photos of it so far. The headstall is basically finished. It'll just need a chinstrap. I'll be working on the reins after I work on another project. I only wish I had added a tad more silver to this one.. Please forgive the forehead tassels, they're really not that messy.. Every knot on this bridle was hand woven by me from thread. Those are not beads and they are not painted on. THe bridle is adjustable on each side and at the poll..

Tuesday, August 04, 2009


ok.. No pics but a quick paragraph or two...

I throroughly enjoyed the Shelbyville Horse Show, this past Saturday, Aug 1st held in Shelbyville, KY. My pictures aren't as good as last year because there was no sun. Most years, we're DYING in the Sweltering August Kentucky Heat, but this year, it's been more rain than anything. I would've at least liked for it to be partly cloudy so that I could get some interesting light.. but alas, no such luck.. I have a lot of photos to go through but I've tweaked three that I'll be putting up on ye olde Photography blog. I'm also out of practice for photography, which I'll have to fix soon!

Secondly, the Black, blue and white braided bridle is coming right along. I had a setback in that I made the throatlatch too short so that had to be taken apart and restarted but it's (The throatlatch) finished as of 4pm est this afternoon. Onto braiding and making the reins and browband!

There is a strong possibility that I will be able to take a custom order in November and if that goes ok, I'll try it again in January 2010.. so stay tuned!