Sunday, May 26, 2024

What does an artist do when there is a storm?

 





Current situation




Last night and this afternoon, there is/was a huge wave of storms that flew across the midwest and south in the US.  I was terrified for my friends on Facebook last night that lived out in Nebraska, Kansas and North Texas.  Post after post about giant tornados and storms ripping through.  It was late too, like 10:30pm central and I worried for them.

I haven't had time to see reports of damage today, I read that there was a few different giant tornados that came through those areas. I hoped everyone was/is ok.

As I sit here and wait for the warnings to go off here, I was thinking about what I do when storms like this are forecast.  I Grab all of my current work and take it to the basement with me. I know that seems silly but the work I have current represents hours and hours of work and if the worst happens, I want to know that it's safe and that I can start on it again.  I want to have some things that are "normal" just in case.

miniature western pleasure bridle and saddle on a stand



This saddle took me about 5 years to complete because of my life being uprooted and upheaved while making it. I took it to the basement every time there was a storm. I couldn't bear the thought of it being destroyed after it took so long to make.

I also take my tackbox full of my tack and others' tack to the basement with me because a lot of my work is in there, and It would crush me to see it destroyed.

Where I live is in a valley.  We have been so fortunate that most of the storms go around us. It's sometimes like we have our own weather pattern. I hope that is the case again today and I hope that everyone in the outlying areas are spared any damage.

What to you take to the basement during a storm?



1 comment:

  1. I am honored all over again that you let me have that saddle! It is on a horse on my shelves,... We don't have a basement. The tornado place of safety is the downstairs bath, the only totally interior walled room. I'd grab my tools, some tack pieces, scrapbooks and some horses.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying so!