Monday, September 11, 2006

The Akhal Teke - A tribute


This past weekend I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the 2006 Akhal Teke Symposium at the Kentucky Horse Park. I had been excited about seeing a "Real Live" akhal teke horse all week but nothing could've matched actually seeing one in person! They are nearly cat-like in their movements. They are light and airy on their feet!

I met many wonderful folks who breed and own "tekes" and I learned a lot about their heritage and bloodlines.

I also got a great close up look at their traditional necklaces, breastcollars, and hand held silver whips that are native to turkmenistan. I've taken detailed pictures so that I can eventually recreate them in miniature!

I'll attach a few of my photos of the horses that I saw there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying so!