Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Overwhelmed




I have to say that I've felt pretty overwhelmed over the past 8 or so months with the birth of my son, not being able to go back to work, taking on a new career and not having enough time to myself. I think that there are a lot of things that people just don't talk about or admit to when they have a munchkin enter their lives for fear that people will think they're not good parents. I love my son more than I've ever loved anyone or anything in my life. That is absolutely for sure the truth. That doesn't mean though that it hasn't been a rough adjustment.

Because of all of the above change, I've really struggled to redefine who I am in my own mind. I haven't come to any conclusions yet either

Lately I've been in the studio a few more days than usual and it's felt really good to sit and work with my hands on something tha I KNOW I can do. I don't get a lot of time to just sit and create and it feels really good to be back at the bench.

My desire to become a better photographer hasn't waned at all, much to my surprise. The more I learn about the business of photography, the more I realize how truly difficult it is to make a living as a photographer. Right now, I'm probably just too stupid to realize that I may not be able to do this so I just keep pushing forward

This weekend is the Rare Breed Expo put on by the Rare Breed Trust at the Kentucky Horse Park. I can't wait to go and photograph some of the horses. This includes caspian ponies, Akhal Tekes, Dartmoor ponies and more!

ON my workbench are work boots for my roping set that I'm still fooling with. I've also bought a Drop Spindle and some unspun wool. Yes, you read right, I'm going to attempt to spin wool. Why you ask? On the Advice of Jacquie (sp?) that I met at the Artisian's hall, I'm learning to do this to make my mecates more realistic. I also think that If I learn to spin my own string/yarn I can make a realistic string girth for my mother hubbard II set. (Bless you Robin S. for being so patient with me! I really think that it'll be worth it in the end!)

Thats the one thing about making model horse tack that I love - a Never Ending learning curve!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I remember this from when my own children were very young! I love my kids, and I never doubted my decision to stay at home with them, but I think I spent that first year with the oldest trying to sort out my own identity. For all the books I read about motherhood, nothing prepared me for that and it took quite a while to find my feet again. I wish mothers were more honest with one another about this, because knowing that it's pretty normal sure helps dispel the nagging idea that you are losing your mind! :)

    Oh, and it does get better. As they get more independent, you get a little more personal space back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying so!