Saturday, April 27, 2024

WHEW It's been a Minute!!

 

Miniature Bosals


Wow!  Two years since I blogged!  Things have been crazy in my life.. but life is never settled is it?  That old adage of "Life is what happens when you're making other plans" has definitely been true for me.


Many may know that My mother battled Multiple Sclerosis for 30+ years and eventually had to be put into skilled nursing care. Taking care of her through the 2020 pandemic and into 2021 remotely from my house and being unable to visit her was difficult.  Thankfully I could send her stuff that she needed from amazon but I could not be in the room with her, making sure the supplies got opened and used.  All skilled nursing places were short staffed during that time and it was difficult for me to armchair her care.  We got through that though and in June of 2022, just a few days short of my Dad's death anniversary, my mother passed away in her sleep.  It was quite an adjustment to live without her.


In October 2021 my company, Appriss, Inc was acquired by Equifax, inc for 2 billion dollars.  Suffice to say it's been culture shock to go from a company like appriss that was always customers/victims first to a fortune 500 company with a totally different goal.  I'm still working on adjusting to that.  It's been difficult and very emotionally draining.


Also I know a few posts back I complained about the symptoms of Menopause.  Thats been the hardest of all.  I think that all women know that when your body lets you down, it is destabilizing.  Unlike the monthly hardships of when I was younger (when things got better after a week) Menopause is permanent.  My body is entirely different than it was before and my hormones have kind of changed me as a person as I adjust to this new body that is unreliable.  The ADHD that I was diagnosed with as a kid, then went into denial about for 30 years is back with a vengeance.  I had so many little coping mechanisms to help combat the "quirks" of my brain so that I could function and work "like a normal person".  I can't even remember to do those now.. lol  I have a new therapist though who has referred me to the practice she is with to get evaluated for my ADHD again and to get on some meds so that I can function better.  I look forward to being more focused and maybe able to accomplish some things that my executive disfunction has been preventing me from doing. (like lose this menopausal weight!)


Miniature Mecate with US penny for scale


On the Miniature Making front, I've taken some leaps forward with my braiding and understanding of real world horse tack.  I guess in the past I had some insecurities about learning new things because it scared me a bit.. but not now. Now i'm voraciously  watching videos about how real western saddles are rigged and made and I've acquired more real tack to take apart so that my miniatures can be better.

I have also taken a metalsmithing class from Designs By Dawn . It was a wonderful class and Dawn is a fantastic Teacher!  Also she's super talented and has been making jewelry all her life. She also has two metalsmithing parents so her knowledge of  techniques is extensive. If you live in KY and want to learn more in general about metalsmithing you should take her class! 100% worth it! 

Because of the changes mentioned above, my body, my work, my skills I am working towards trying to make miniatures full time. There is a whole lot to consider with a change in occupation like that.  I make a very good living right now in tech but my skills are outdated and I'm finding that I dont' have the patience to put up with a male dominated field anymore.  I'm finding I have a lot less energy than I used to and I would like to put that energy towards arts and making instead of hoping I have enough energy left over after work to make.  I feel like I could take custom orders, and maybe do some more museum projects as well as break into the western collectibles market to help make ends meet.  I know that there are also Art/Craft grants I could apply for.  It's all very scary but I have a goal of liquidating a lot of my collection and extra tack making items (Do I really need 3 of each bit?) within the next year and scraping and saving everything I can.  We'll see..

My kiddo is now DRIVING!!!  He's such a wonderful child.. Poor thing takes after me but he is handling it well.  Anthony is doing well too.  We are back together and raising Kiddo together and have a good partnership.

ON The horizon tack wise:  The above bosals will be for sale as soon as I can make "Good" mecates for them.  I will sell them, and the rest of my collection on "Model Horse Place". It is free to sign up there and is run by a hobbiest.

I publish the most information about my work on my facebook page;  https://www.facebook.com/desertnightcreations  Please join there if you would like to stay up to date on my work!


1 comment:

  1. Delighted to hear it all!! especially the part about Anthony.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying so!