Monday, May 27, 2024

Aftermath- Quick Update

 


So this happened- unfortunately.  We had 80mph (128 kph) straight line winds so this poor tree had no chance. There was a rotted spot above this limb that we didn't know about.  I don't think we will be able to keep this tree because it's split too far down.  The sun sets in the west behind this tree at our house and this beautiful tree provided so much shade. : (  


Our first indication that there was an issue.... lol
























Thankfully My partner's Jeep is ok!



We used a Leaf Identifier and found out that it is a "hackberry" tree. (a type of Elm) The neighbor told us that the previous owner did not plant this tree- that it literally just appeared one day.  I'm assuming a squirrel decided that spot was a good place to hide the seeds and it grew from that.

I get very attached to the trees in my yard.  I think of them as living things, like people.  The tree has been in this house much longer than we have- we are just stewards for them.  I'm thinking about making sure we keep a couple of chunks of wood to make something nice out of- but I don't know anything about "hackberry" trees so I don't know if that is possible. 

Across the street from us, there are beautiful houses with back yards that end at a creek. Unfortunately one of the neighbors there lost two GIANT trees when they were completely uprooted and thankfully fell towards the creek.  

There was damage all across the area and into the surrounding counties.  I'm sure there will be more photos as time goes on. Those storms were really strong!


I hope that your Memorial Day weekend is much less eventful than mine!

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've known for sure your car was OK. Thank goodness! Yeah, keep some pieces of wood from this tree,... you never know what you'll be capable of building later on; and seasoning its wood cannot hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying so!