Monday, December 08, 2008

Sometimes.... I want to run away to an artist colony




I know, thats kinda weird but there are days, like today, that I wished I had more artists literally within my space. I work in a vacuum sometimes, all alone, allowing in only inspiration and my own way of doing things. Actually I work that way a lot and here lately, far too often.


I want to feel that creative rush that one gets when they're around other inspiring artists. The internet is pretty good at this, but sometimes there is nothing like watching someone else's process
in person.



I'd bring my son with me too. Somehow I'd have a safe environment for him to play in while I worked. I'd also like him to be exposed to other creative people and maybe their kids. My cousin (Melissa Moreton) lives in Idaho on an artist colony so maybe we should go visit her sometime....

I'm just daydreaming outloud, forgive me...

The First photo above is a miniature western show halter with braided buttons - turks head knots with a single interweave and a herringbone interweave.

The silver noseplate has been engraved and attached. I need to work on the cheek pieces now. It's hard to engrave because munchkin is afraid of the loud noise, so I have to do the silver engraving in the evenings when my husband can watch him or on the weekends.

When I engrave, I normally need to engrave all of my plates at once because everytime I engrave, I do it differently. I always try to do it the same but it depends on where my head is at the time.

The second picture was a blast of inspiration I had last night after viewing Gail houghts website and Susan Young's website. I really want to make a black braided bridle. Sue normally maps out her tack by drawing it out . I have never done this before but for some reason I really wanted to do this. The drawing is crude but it's a good general idea of what I'd like to make here in the near future.

I have the silver bit already scratched out onto the silver but there is a ton of silverwork left to be finished. I have no idea how long it's going to take to make that bridle since I intend to learn a long pineapple knot. I only started looking at it today though which means I have a long way to go.

I'll also be looking for a job and a daycare for munchkin after the beginning of the year so my time will be more limited. But.. there is always time to create even if I have to forgo sleep and work at midnight.. :-)

I




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying so!